Cub's First Library

For the first time in my life, I have no bookshelf. What a cataclysm. Yes, 795 million people in this world do not have enough food and I am stressing about the lack of shelving in my personal space. In all seriousness though, I am realizing rapidly how many books I actually have. You can count {read: stumble over} them pretty much all over my room at my in-laws house. From the coffee table in the basement, to the piles on the window sill and my husband has actually discovered recently that I have confiscated half of his sock drawer to start hoarding more books {you think I'm joking...he has pictures}. What can I say?

I am a Book Collector.
Librarian.
Nerd.
Bibliophile.
Logophile.
Raconteuse.
Savant.
Erudite.
Bookworm.
All of it.

And I expect no less from my child.

My mother instilled in me a love of reading and research from the time I was small. Just from reading bedtime stories and afternoon stories, and probably morning stories. In fact, she patiently read me one story over and over again so that by the time I was two years old I had it memorized and could "read" it to myself and anyone else who would listen. I vaguely remember being bored during Sesame Street episodes because I already knew "that stuff".

I vow now that watching a movie before bedtime is not going to be a thing in my house. Instead, Cubbers is going to have to suffer through rounds on rounds of classic bedtime stories including but not limited to:
  • Love You Forever
  • Corduroy
  • Goodnight Moon
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night
  • The Tale of Peter Rabbit
  • Adventures of Little Bear
  • Grimm's Fairytales {Of course!}
  • Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Chronicles of Narnia
  • Lord of the Rings
  • Harry Potter
Just to name a few...

Of course I want my child to be a genius {what mother doesn't?!} So I've done the research needed {perhaps a little too willingly} to find out what kind of books will help him achieve a 4.0 GPA average in college {insert your eye rolls here}. I've read that some helpful learning tools for a baby's first library usually include:

  • Mother Goose Rhymes 
  • Chicka Chicka ABC
  • Black and White  
  • The Big Red Barn
Thanks to his Auntie Alison who is also a fellow reader, Cub has his library started and in a few years I am predicting that Alex will have to build a shed in the backyard to house his wife and son's collection of books. No shame. 




Comments

  1. One of my favorite memories as a child was laying in bed while my dad read me books like Moby Dick until I fell asleep and then the next night starting back where I had fallen asleep.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts