"For the Love" // Book Review

Ok, I kinda hate to say this, because Jen Hatmaker is my favoritest author of ALL TIME.
I FREAKING LOVE HER. YOU DON'T EVEN UNDERSTAND.... but this book wasn't exactly what I was expecting and therefore it was a little disappointing.

I was expecting a book on how to detox your life of poisonous, comparison ways, maybe even encouraging me to get off social media more and enjoy the little things in life with hilarious examples of her own family. Instead of that, I got a book that was filled with a short collection of essays that allowed the author to vent about the new culture norms of 2015.

Like I said, it fell below my expectations. But on the other hand, it allowed me to reach a little bit deeper into Jen's soul as she explained the things that she's passionate about {like food!}. It was almost diary like in the composition. Very raw, very emotional, filled to the brim with humanity and all its magnificance.

As I turned page after page, I slowly grew to appreciate her essays. She was not preaching, she was simply speaking across the table to me. It was like having a coffee date with your idol. I couldn't wait for the next morning to open to the spot I'd left off from the morning before and drink in her humor. I have said this once and I'll say it again, I love her everyday lessons that she pulls from everyday life. I love how she sees heaven on her front porch, and Jesus in the eyes of her friends sitting across the table from her. Most of all, as an INFJ, I love how she stresses the importance of relationships with your spouse, your kids, and the key to a happy life is to surround yourselves with good friends who love you deeply.

I will give it a Rachel Rating of 5/5 but you should be aware that it's mostly because I love Jen with my whole heart and soul, but also that it has snuck back into my "to read" pile because hey, you can never have too much common sense, humor, and everyday love.


Comments

Popular Posts