3 Year Anniversary

3 years ago today I embarked on one of the biggest adventures of my life with 12 strangers and one backpack for 6 months.
I was asked the other day if it were worth it? If I could go back and do it all again, would I? I won't lie, I hesitated and thought about it. 
My trip was long, and hot, and frustrating at times. My team didn't get as close as I expected them to. There were a lot of disappointments that I had to fight through when I came home. I had severe culture shock, and to this day I feel guilty if I complain about first world problems. I now stay in touch with only a few people in this photo and recently had the chance to hang out for a whole weekend with some of them. 
That weekend taught me that even though we came home and went our separate ways, they were still my family. We were still just as close as when we shared rice and beans, and beds, and glasses, {looking at you there, Penny!}, and clothes. We spent most of our trip doing a whole lot of nothing. But we got to see the community for what it was then and now, not what it COULD be if we spent 2 weeks hustling to build new homes and schools. I realized that my American way was not always the best way. 
I learned a lot about who I was as a Christian, as a woman, and as a friend. 
Spending that weekend with my girls convinced me, that if their friendship was the only thing that I accomplished on that trip, than I was satisfied.
So despite my pause, my answer is "Yes!!" 
Team,
I miss you guys so much. I cannot thank you for the all the memories we share together and the lessons you taught me. 
V, thank you for sticking with me in Haiti, and for making me laugh. All. The. Time!
Sabrina, you helped me to learn what it was to fall in love with little things like wildflowers. 
Molly, you taught me that being true to who you are as an individual is unapologetically beautiful and that one should never give up reading.
Penny, you carried my bags through New York while I was dying from the plague and you weren't afraid to sit near me so that you could keep my supply of tissues coming. You are a champion!!!
Bekah, waking up in Haiti to you singing on the roof is something that I miss the most! You made me feel like I was living in a Disney movie every day. Okay? Okay.
Matt, you are the most patient man in the entire universe. Thank you for not selling us to the Haitians when you had the chance! Love, all 10 women.
Hunter-you saved my stomach from the worst infected piercing and didn't gag once. AND you gave me gum for being a good patient. Nuf said. You are good friend and put up with too much of me!
Emma, you are my continued inspiration for travel and fitness. Even though you were our baby, you far surpassed me in the amount of life lived in the past 3 years. I love how you wake up each morning ready to seize the day and live life to the fullest! 
Amy, you held me and prayed for me one night in Jamaica and that spoke volumes to my soul. You love so well. And you kept us all alive for 6 months even though we caused multiple trips to the hospital {ONE IN EVERY COUNTRY!}. You should have been given a trophy and not a t shirt! DING!
Nick, I know you only spent like three weeks with us, but those minor three weeks taught me that no other man can bend and snap like you can! Wish we could have danced in every single country...
Audrey, BABE. I'm so happy that we came back and went on real Starbucks dates instead of just pretending in Belize. And thanks for not getting mad the time my shampoo bottle fell on me, and I woke up screaming cause I thought it was a lizard. 
Tiff, I secretly just want to be you. You're so cool. You were so very laid back about everything and you were always on top of it all...yeah, I look up to you a lot. 
I love you guys! #12PLUSorMINUS
Also these photos are borrowed {stolen} from my teammates cause I was a genius and left my phone at home!! So I guess if I could change one thing it would to bring my camera?!

Comments

Popular Posts