all in

When I do something I try to go big or go home.
{ngl sometimes I just end up going home cause life sucks and I hate adulting, esp on Tuesdays. Don't ask me why, Tuesdays are just usually awful.}

So. Alex and I have decided to financially and spiritually adopt a child. We've been wanting to for a couple of months now, but with buying a house and getting settled we just never got around to it. Finally we decided to just bite the bullet. This is the month of Love after all, so it's a great time to sign up.

I read a quote somewhere that you when you are donating something, or giving to charity, if you aren't going without something is it really sacrificing? We are supposed to go without in order to truly make it a sacrifice. I did the math and if I went to Starbucks and got my usual drink, with tax I'd be spending $4.18/ twice a week for a month that adds up to $33.44; and that's just me going through the drive through on my way to work. I also belong to a book club that meets AT Starbucks twice a month and so the grand total of my monthly Starbucks treats would add up $41.80....And so I'm giving up Starbucks until this child graduates!

I take sponsoring a child super seriously {maybe a little over the top ridiculously, but still--} and I had my Bible out, reading each child's biography, praying for each one of them, and for the little one that I was going to be spiritually partnered with.
And then I found her.
I didn't mean to. We were looking at all the countries to be fair, but we really wanted Haiti or Uganda....but it just so happened our little Princess lives in Zimbabwe.
Her name is Diana and she is perfection. In her photo on the website her little face is filled with hope and joy, full of invitation, standing there with her little hands clasped together, she looks like she is up on her tippy-toes ready to fly off.  She wants to be a teacher when she grows up, and like Noah she adores cartoons. She lives in Musha Wevana, Marondera, Zimbabwe and she has my heart. I turned to Alex and said, "I found her! She's the one!" A huge grin covered his face, mirroring her own as he responded, "Yes, that's her!"
I spent the rest of the day, learning more about their culture, their country's history, the type of food they eat, music that they make, the weather { I even added it to my list of places that I look at daily on my weather app!} Some people may say that it's ridiculous to put that much work into financially supporting an orphan in a third world country, and maybe it is. But if our Heavenly Father knows every single little detail about me and everyone else in this world I don't think it's going over an above to research what these little children are accustomed to in their culture.

One thing that made us choose Help One Now was the fact that you are not the only one responsible for the care and well being of this child. Up to 5 people can sponsor can sponsor one child, so if there is a month where it's financially impossible for you to send the donation, that child won't be unable to go to school or eat or have clothing.
There are so many children on their website that are so close to being fully sponsored, please consider sponsoring one, or even partnering with your friend group to make that monthly gift!

Comments

Popular Posts