In between Big Things

It seems as if everyone around me is getting pregnant, getting a puppy, moving somewhere exotic, or just finishing a huge project.

And I'm...not.

I am not doing new things.
I am not going anywhere new.
I am not getting to see new life blossom all around me. 
Right now I'm not doing anything that feels BIG.
And that's ok.

I am living in between Big Things right now. Some days it seems as if I will never do another significant thing again. I will never find my passion and pursue it. But then I snap myself out of my head space and tell myself I'm just in between right now. This is not forever. This is temporary. And let's be real, being in between isn't a bad place to be.

I like being in between the Big Things in my life.
I like the settling in and of planting roots.
I like not being pregnant right now.
I like growing each day with my son.
I like my husband working his 7-5 job.
I like not being in school.
I like my old dog sleeping in her corner of our room.
I like seeing the same scenery every day on my drive in to work.

For some it might seem that my lack of adventure in this period of my life is extremely aggravating. I admit there are days when I find myself consumed by wanderlust and googling flights to Europe. But this quietness inside me is something that I can't ignore, this easy routine of life that we have worn a groove into.

This simple pattern of every day life reminds me that I have a God who is constant. He is unchanging. He is not boring. Or always even comfortable. But from the start of the world He Is. He will always be. He is Yahweh. The great I AM. He has not changed since the desert with Moses. He has not changed since I became pregnant with Noah. He has not changed since I wrote praises to Him in the mountains of Haiti. He is forever. I know one day I will miss these days of being in between, the slowness of yoga and coffee in the morning, the quietness of the house during nap times. I think this is the first time in my life that I have realized these are the "good, old days" that I am  living in today, and that means I have to soak them up before they are gone. Hmm. Maybe that's why people miss the good old days, because they are too busy waiting for the Big Things in their  life.

Comments

Popular Posts