Earthy Herby

Hey guys! So one of my {many} New Year's Resolutions was to get my family to start living more green. In today's society green can mean so many things so one of the ways that we have started up is RECYCLING! We have yet to actually get a water softener for our sink so we have been purchasing cases of water and we are up to our ears in empty plastic bottles. I put some of them in my window boxes to keep the soil from just sitting on the wood, and this used up a lot! Seriously the shortest window box 26 bottles alone!

Luckily we live about 4 minutes away from our town's recycling center so about once a week we head there to dump our plastic, glass, and aluminum leftovers.  I mean we also only drive one car so the one upside to being extremely miserly with our money is that we are lessoning our family's carbon footprint as well. Yay Earth! Yay us!

Another way that we have tried to get a little greener is through medicine, and by that I mean that we have started opting for essential oils which have been working quite well. We apply them daily through topical and aroma therapy. Our favorite has to be Elevation to start our day, we gather around as a family and apply it to each other and even Noah has gotten into it, by holding out his little wrists so he can get some. Serenity is also a life saver on those nights where Noah's feeling a little extra nuts we apply it to the bottom of his feet and pray. Pretty much 98% of the time it works and he's fast asleep by the time a half hour is up. So instead of running straight for the ibuprofen every time we have a headache or tums when our tummies hurt, we are infusing our bodies with peppermint and digest-zen

My mom and I spent a full Saturday getting me all set up with oils that I need in our every day life {apparently at one time she was a doTerra consultant?!}. After about 3 hours of learning, and mixing I had a great starter kit to share with my little tribe!




Here they and their uses are all are in no particular order:
  • Oregano -- create for supporting the immune system
  • Lavender -- relaxes
  • Elevation{blend} -- promotes happy hormones which leads to a mood boost
  • Past Tense {blend} -- helps to ground emotions and lower stress levels
  • Clary Calm {blend} -- a special woman's monthly blend
  • Frankincense --aroma helps promote relaxation, and applied topically helps with scar prevention
  • Balance{blend} -- helps balance your {my} hormones
  • Deep Blue{blend} -- perfect for massages after a long workout.  
  • In Tune{blend} -- aids in helping the brain to focus { I use this when I feel a little slumpish in the afternoon}
  • Allergy Relief -- need I say more?!
  • Peppermint -- our main use of this is for our headaches, but it can be used for a plethora of ailments
  • Serenity{blend} -- sleep time aid/relaxer
  • On Guard{blend} -- preventative against cold and flu symptoms
  • Melaleuca -- also known as tea tree oil, great for your skin!
  • Aroma Touch{blend} -- Helps to lessen the tension
  • Breathe{blend} -- helps to clear a stuffy nose
  • Digest-Zen{blend} -- Help with upset tummies, especially when applied to the stomach
  • Terra Shield -- bug spray



I also came home with a boatload of books to do my homework on the benefits of being all natural in our every day cures so stay tuned for a blog post on all my new reading material!

Comments

Popular Posts