7

First off this was my fourth or fifth time reading this book. That alone should tell you how I feel about it. The first time I read it, I was dripping sweat on a rooftop in Haiti, having borrowed it as much needed reading material from one of my teammates. This time I'm curled up on the couch with my Husband and we get to discuss it at length, that is when we aren't rolling on the floor in laughter at her {mis}adventures eating 7 foods for 30 days or wearing 7 articles of clothing for a whole month or crying because she describes the heart of adoptive parents in limbo so perfectly we feel like she's in our heads.

This is the book that I first fell in love with Jen Hatmaker and ever since I have been her loyal disciple. This book is about going without to discover something more. Giving up our regular routines so that you can set yourself up for teaching moments with our Savior. Getting uncomfortable to gain insight. For 7 months Jen gives up 7 different things each month: clothes, spending, waste, food, possessions, media and waste. She documents pretty much every single moment of fasting, the good, the bad, the holy and the ugly. She does not edit her experiences to make herself into a saint and I think that is why I find her so lovable. She is a very real person and I love that and am drawn to her honesty.

If you find yourself bored with living the mediocre, American Christian life and know that there has to be more to it, get this book. But I'm warning you, once you read the statistics in this book about how blessed we are, you will never again be able to enjoy your privileged existence. It is serious. It is eye opening, and heart wrenching. This will shake you up and turn you upside down and leave you there.

Rachel Rating is a 5/5 stars! 

Comments

Popular Posts