AM I BECOMING A MINMALIST?!

A couple of months ago my closet just decided to puke all over my room. More specifically because of a faulty setup the whole of our closet organizer just collapsed and fell completely and utterly apart and I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

WE HAVE SO MANY CLOTHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Between Alex and I the clothes filled all of our laundry baskets and the bed and spilled off onto our floor. AND THAT WAS JUST OUR SEASONAL CLOTHES. Don't even get me started on the tubs that we had in the back bedroom, and hanging up in the closet back there....

For those of you who don't know, I spent six months of my life with 7 outfits and one backpack and no makeup or accessories. I am hardly SJP when it comes to fashion. I remember coming home to America and having anxiety over putting together an outfit that actually matched from the boat load of clothes that I had. Being made to be minimalistic by my trip was so freeing, why would anyone ever want to have all these items just laying about the house?! I swore to never forget any and all the lessons I learned on my trip.... Okay but clearly even though those were the great big emotions I was feeling 4 years ago when I rocking myself in the fetal position at my parents house, I've obviously progressed a few steps up the ladder of materialism and taken my family with me.

Still I never thought at I could call myself a minimalist because I had more than five t shirts in my closet and our back bedroom was still a horrible wreck and unorganized. And then I read somewhere that minimalism is more than a lifestyle, it is a mindset.  And so: here we are the beginning of 2019 and plunging into minimalism lifestyles and attitudes as a whole family.

Husband and I have never been materialistic people so I'm not expecting this journey to be as difficult for us as it would be for some. I can't understand the people who have to have the "latest and greatest" iPhone, apple watch, laptop, Coach purse, designer shirt... or even those people who go and buy clothes that they never end up wearing... even so it's becoming very evident that while we have never been the ones to rush out and upgrade our techno gadgets we have a CRAP TON of clothes and unnecessary accessories.

Armed with Maria Lu's Spark Joy, as well as The More of Less and The Year of Less {thanks Hope for the recommendations!} plus some minimalism challenges {found on Pinterest} we are about to tackle this house of hoarding {fine, not really, but by the end we are going to be able to fit a bed in our 3rd bedroom} once and for all! And being a true Jen Hatmaker disciple I'll be conducting this like she did in her book 7... in real time!

Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts