What it's REALLY Like to Live in 1 Room

First of all there's something you should know: I am a pro at living in one rooms. I lived in a dorm room a little bit bigger than my parents' walk in closet WITH a roommate! I lived with multiple strangers in third world countries out of 1 backpack.That's right. 1 backpack. It's safe to say that I am not a materialistic person. I'm not obsessed with having my own space. I also can sleep/have slept on a concrete floor. I might not be the best person to write this article considering that I am not bothered by many things that people would probably mind, but I will do my best to give an accurate representation of what it's currently like for me to share a room with my 23 year old Husband and 10 month old Son in a house with 5 other people.

You will NEVER be able to fit all your stuff in one room.
Unless you know, you're like some kind of minimalistic hippie who is living out of a backpack or suitcase for 6 months. So, get real about what you do and don't need. I'm not saying that you need to throw out everything you own except your favorite sports bra and toothbrush {although if you did, it would make my next point completely irrelevant.}. But you probably do need to evaluate most things in your life and then downsize considerably. For example: do I need a full scale library. No {low key "yes" but we are working on it}. Do I need a bookshelf for a minor yet vital part of my collection? Abso-fricking-lutely. And there you have it, Downsizing 101.

It's vital to have organization.
Without organization you might very well never be seen again. Without organization I can guarantee that you will forever be late for work. And that goes for no matter what size space you are living in. Everyone needs their own corner to put their things. Noah has his corner with his playpen and his toys and his dirty close hamper. Alex has his corner for computer, TV, and xBox crap {I mean things}. And I have my own corner for my books. And books and books and pens and paper and books. Whatever. The 4th corner is a mixture of hodge podge aka our clothing situation. It might not be organized perfectly but at least it's all in one spot? Can I get an amen Boy Mamas?!  So you may need to get creative with how you use your space! Don't underestimate the space underneath your bed! Get a couple of those roller under the bed storage boxes and go to town! 

Decorate your space like a Magician decorates his stage! It's all about illusion, honey cakes! Tastefully using mirrors and baskets you can hide things in plain sight and no one will notice because hey, it's SO CUTE! That mint laundry basket with the fluffy blankets. Yep. Right there next to Noah's toys. Cause mint is so in right now. Wanna hide it? Put it in something mint. People can't see the crap cause of the mint...at least in 2017.

Lose any idea you might have about peace and quiet.
There's no such thing when you live with males. Even if you aren't all in one room for 8-10 hours daily. In a nutshell, my husband is an extrovert and my son is showing signs about being one as well. So even I lived in the Istana Nurul Iman Palace I would most likely still be pulling out my hair from the amount of noise these two boys can make. I recommend some coffee dates, with a book, all by yourself to Starbucks twice a week. Works a miracle.

For further research I reccomened The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up as reading material! She gives amazing tips on how to fit alllllll your clothes in a dresser. Pinterest is also helpful for finding cute DIYs to hiding things in plain sight! Comment below and let me know what tips you have about living in small spaces with your family!!! 

Comments

Popular Posts