Girl, Wash Your Face // Book Review

I stumbled upon this book while at my mom's house one afternoon. Like most of my self help finds, I wasn't really looking to start a new book {I seem to find myself always reading two books at a time, one fiction and one non-fiction...there's just no helping it.} but there it was. A good friend had sent it to her and I skimmed through it noting that all the chapters were addressed to lies that the author believed about herself, such as "The Lie: I'm Not Good Enough", "The Lie: I Should Be Further Along By Now" "The Lie: I'm a Terrible Writer"...etc. So many of these resonated so deep inside me I felt like I had been struck like a Chinese gong.


Yep. That's how I felt. So I announced to my mom that I was stealing yet another book from her and packed it up and took it home.

This girl has got it all! Rachel Hollis created a lifestyle company from the ground up while at the same time plans parties for A-list celebrities. If anyone can preach about reaching for the stars it's her. She is incredibly motivated and at the end of each chapter includes at least three things that helped her to defeat the lies she has faced. Never afraid of keeping it too real she writes about real life where she peed her pants while jumping on the trampoline, acknowledges her wanting to drink to help deal with the rough stuff, and includes heartbreaking testimonies of being an adoptive parent. Through it all her message is "Only you have the power to change your life. Here's how."

I read the whole book in like a week. I tried to take it slow, but Rachel Hollis writes in such an easy manner that I couldn't not keep flipping pages. It was a little weird though. In her essays addressed to all the lies that she believes about herself, she also encourages you to never stop dreaming, never stop chasing your goals.

Lately my mindset has been negative toward my dreams. Lately the books I have been reading are dissing my big moments of life and all about living out the small ones. I've been embracing every single stay at home moment, soaking up time spent with my family and being present through all our family dinners on the patio and our badminton-tourneys-where-everyone-plays-with-their-left-hand-to-add-some-spice in the twilight. There is absolutely something to be said for those moments. And yet I have allowed myself to forget to dream. Or at the very least I think about my dreams and then allow them to wander to the back of my brain while I deal with my day to day goals and to do lists. Because let's be real, dreams aren't always practical.

This book told me to SHOUT IT FROM THE ROOFTOPS. To get out there and write my dreams down on a piece of paper and put it somewhere I won't forget. That just because I am a Mommy I don't get to achieve my hopes and dreams, but more than anything I should be the one setting the example for my kids to get out there and tackle theirs.

I think at the end of the day I don't swing one way or the other. Ok well maybe I do tend to want to stay home more and not talk to people {Rachel Hollis is clearly an extrovert!}... but it's all about balance. Chase my dreams and love the little moments. Keep an eye on the prize and still be present. I recommend Girl, Wash Your Face as a perfect motivational book to get you out there and achieving what you were always meant to be, and defeating the lies that we have accepted into our headspace and believe about ourselves.

You can keep up with Rachel Hollis on her website which includes links to her Instagram and podcast! You can also order the book here as well.

Rachel Rating is a 3/5 stars! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts